CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Emily's School Projects!

I wanted to include pictures of all of Emily's school projects that she had this year. Fourth grade was a tad more challenging for her, with three major projects that she had to complete. She even had to do her first book report this year, which was very easy and only required her filling out a "sandwich-shaped" book report. It had different pages, that resembled the sandwich fillings and was even about the size of a sandwich. I do not have a picture of that project, so it's not included in this blog.

Emily's first project was a huge collage of Virginia's Products and Industries, for the five regions of our state. She used my scrapbooking Sizzix machine to cut out her title and name. Then, Rob and her went to his office and printed out all the products and industries for the five different regions. She divided the poster board, into the regions and glued her pictures on. Then, she had to label each picture. Luckily, Rob has a labeling machine at work, which I would LOVE to have at home, and they printed out the names of each picture. What a lot of work, but she did a great job. So much, in fact, that the teacher is keeping it to show her class next year. She just moved up grade levels this year, she used to teach 2nd grade, and she has nothing to show her students for examples of different projects. Anyway, it's a good thing that I take so many pictures of EVERYTHING, or I may have had a bit of a problem "letting go" of this school project!! I keep all of their school work and have done this since they were 3-years old and in preschool. I have two huge bins, in the garage, filled with their work. I will have to get a new one for Emily for next year's work. I really need to go through them and only keep the best things. I hate throwing any of it away, though! LOL!!!

Now, back to projects. I definitely have a tendency to become side-tracked!! LOL! Emily's next project was to either build a Native American Longhouse, or make a game board. Their teacher even told them that the game board would be the easiest route to take; however, Emily chose the model!!! I knew which one she picked EVEN before she told me. Anyway, we ended up buying the Powhatan Indian Tribe package, from TAPS, and were able to have people in this model. We used rectangular-shaped foam and sand (the kind from an arts and crafts store). The longhouse is constructed of craft sticks. The roof is made out of an oatmeal box, that is cut in half. We used felt for the roof, for the deer skin. I love the little corn crop, that is made with pipe cleaners and yellow beads (Rob's idea). When she presented it to the class, they all loved it. I have to also add that Emily has no problem, whatsoever, speaking in front of a group. She is NOT shy one bit. LOL!!

The last project was to build either a Colonist Fort, a fort for the English Soldiers, or to make a diorama of the Boston Tea Party. She chose the Colonist Fort. She also had to write a paragraph about the Colonists and present it to the class. Unfortunately, we didn't have any of the sand or paint left from her first project because Emily, Caitlynn, and a friend of theirs used it for a craft project. So, we had to go and buy a lot of the supplies again. This time, we got a slightly smaller foam board. The fence, houses, ladder, and cannon perch were made out of various sizes of craft sticks. The roofs for the houses were made from pizza boxes, covered with frayed felt. She did another fabulous job and we are very proud of her.

I will end here with some pictures of her projects!!


Emily with her Virginia's Products and Industries Project ~


Emily with her Native American Longhouse Project ~


Emily with her Colonist Project ~


A close up of the fort -- notice the little fire. Rob actually burned the little craft sticks to make it more authentic. We didn't want Emily's entire project to go up in flames; therefore, Rob did the burning!! LOL!

4 comments:

Corey, Jennifer and Nicole said...

Oh my Amy....she is very creative and does great work! I am so impressed!!!!!!!!!!!

And i am just like you Nicoles little pictures i save, the first time she wrote her name i saved, all her cards! LOL. i should make room in the garage i guess!~

Our Family! said...

Thanks, Jenn!! And, yes, I think you should definitely make room in your garage for all of Nicole's school work!! LOL!!

Caits; said...

Her projects are amazing, I can't believe someone so young does such great projects, I wish that my parents helped me do those sorts of things.

LOL every time i come to your page, your music plays, and I'm in class so everyone looks aorund, I feel funny. LOLOL

Becca said...

Hey, there! I found your blog as I was searching for help with my son's longhouse project! LOL! Anyway - I am going to steal your idea of using an oatmeal box roof and the corn crop! Enjoyed taking a look at your blog! I haven't updated in a while (I need, too!) but you're welcome to check us out. We're in Virginia as well.